Thursday night before half term and the school tweets that there will be no after school clubs on the Friday. Normally not a major concern but Ollie was looking forward to the school bake off club and making his Rolo chocolate cupcakes. As we had already weighed out the ingredients for him to take in I promised I would make them with him at the weekend.
For an extra flourish we did add some vanilla butter icing, which complimented the chocolate cupcakes perfectly.
I would caution though, after my last escapade with Rolos in chocolate brownies. I tried to turn the brownies out of the pan too early and ended up with the Rolos welding to one hand. I ended up doing a dance of pain, whilst trying to work out if I should save the brownie or save my hand . The brownie won and was saved and I spent the rest of the night with my hand in a bowl of iced water.
As we often bake together at the weekend, it spawned the idea of a section of the blog dedicated to baking with the kids. All the recipes in this section will be baked by Ollie, loosely under my supervision so that he does not set fire to the house or chop off a finger!
Hopefully these easy and delicious recipes will be used by mums and dads to get the kids baking.
Makes: 12 Cupcakes
Oven Temp: Gas 4, 350F, 180C (160C Fan)
100g butter, softened
175g light brown sugar
175g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
12 muffin cases
Butter cream icing:
140g butter, softened
280g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Instructions for the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160F Fan.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and sugar in the mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients: egg, milk and butter
- With a wooden spoon beat all the ingredients together until they form a smooth batter.
- Line a muffin tin with the cases and divide the mixture evenly between the 12 cases.
- Poke a Rolo into the batter until it is just covered.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes in the muffin tin . Then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Do not eat when hot as the Rolos are like lava!
Instructions for the butter icing:
- If you have a mixer put the butter and sift half of the icing sugar into the mixer bowl and beat on a slow speed until smooth. Or you can do this with a wooden spoon.
- Sift the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and the vanilla and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Beat in the extra tablespoon of milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
- Pipe or spoon onto the cooled cupcakes.